I share the day-by-day reality of WWDC 2017 attendee with the colleagues to show them what kind of knowledge injection they can look forward to when I am back. It is going to be inspiring, guys!
Day 0, Saturday
- Departuring from Warsaw -> 2 stops-> arriving in San Francisco
- It’s 11 p.m. local time (after 25 hours without sleep) and I’ve just arrived to my temporary home and having a small chat with the home owners- I’m exhausted. Why am I doing it?
Day 1, Sunday
- Jetlag, I woke up at 5 a.m. – seriously?
- 7 a.m. – a half hour walk
- Check-in- I can’t see the end of the queue
- I met some guys from Poland. It’s getting interesting
- I’ve got an ID and starter-pack! It’s really happening!
- Breakfast- finally!
- With one of my new friends we are taking a small trip to Apple Headquarters, Infinite Loop. I’ve got new t-shirt!
- Next direction the newly built apple headquarters, a few pics
- Santana Row and Westfield, shopping, visiting Tesla Lounge, American burger, NBA finals at the beer (locals won!)
- It was a long day. Finally I’m back home and having a beer with the hosts
Day 2, Monday
- Still suffering from jet lag… I woke up at 5 a.m. after 4 hours of sleep. This traveling makes me so tired…
- 7 a.m. the hosts are taking me to Convention Centre. Guess what? Queue again!
- 9:30 a.m. – I’m at Keynote… so close to the stage!
- 10:00 Keynote- presentation of news on iOS, tvOS, watchOS, macOS, presentation of new hardware, including the brand-new iMac Pro and homePod smart-speaker
- Presenting new libraries to Machine Learning, Artificial Reality and Virtual Reality
- Lunch, meeting with a group of Poles
- State of the Union – to present accurate changes and news
- Now it’s time for something special- Beard Bash (concerts with beer), pub with karaoke, Mexican burrito
- End of the day! What a rate!
Day 3, Tuesday
- I hate jet lag….
- 8 a.m. – I’m taking a bus to Convention Centre
- The talk show with Michelle Obama is so cool!
- All day sessions (news, usage, code – core motion, introducing machine learning, whats new in swift, drag and drop), dinner
- I’m struggling with lack of sleep…
- It’s after the conference! Time to look for a gift for my daughter
- 7 p.m. – time to go to bed. I feel like a baby…
Day 4, Wednesday
- 5 a.m. – finally I’ve rested, even though I don’t remember how I fell asleep and why in this strange position that makes my back ache
- 7 a.m. – just a short bus ride, breakfast, and off we go with the sessions
- Today we start with machine learning, advanced networking (and changes), natural language processing, concurrent workloads, design sessions
- AltConf is great – I have a chance of talking with people from Atlassian, Microsoft, Firebase and some startups. My head is full of technological inspirations.
- I go to Wallmart in the afternoon to buy some stuff you won’t find in polish shopping centres and bring it to my family and friends.
- The evening finishes late – I party with my new tech buddies and get back to the apartment at midnight. I have a dream about the great pizza I ate in the evening 😉
Day 5, Thursday
- 8 a.m. – starting day quite late, but with an invigorating walk to Convention Centre
- The whole day of sessions on building visually rich user experiences, metal 2 for compute, advanced animations with UIKit, advances in core image
- The lunch time was surprisingly eventful – „I’m dancing as fast as I can… code” performance was amazing. Check how it looked like https://youtu.be/Xg1dUhVI9i0
- Labs with Apple engineers fill up all the afternoon – some of them are really throughout, some just scratch the surface of the topics
- The evening ends in a relaxed atmosphere – Bash, Fall Out Boy concert, food and drinks shared with the developers from around the world
Day 6, Friday
- 7 a.m. – I guess I finally started to adjust to the local time zone. It’s a pity that I have to go back on Sunday and go through the jet lag once again.
- Today’s sessions were devoted to auto layout techniques in interface builder and engineering for testability. I also attended labs on animation. And that were the last hours on WWDC 2017.
- I visited also Playgrounds – the start-up zone set by Android founder, where my Airbnb host works.Unfortunatelyy – I cannot share what I’ve seen there 😉
- After visiting Stanford I went out with my hosts to play pool and sing a bit on karaoke party.
- Right now I am already in my bed, and there is only San Francisco sightseeing left for tomorrow before I fly back home on Sunday.
Whoa – these were some of the most intensive days of my life! I will get back to Skyrise blog to sum up what I have seen and learned when I’m back. Stay tuned!